Friday 9 January 2009

How do you plan your shows?

I think I begin with the novelist's creed - always try and have a start that grips the audience and a convincing finish. So I do try to start my Rollin' and Tumblin' show with something really lively which I hope 'catches' the audience and makes them want to stay tuned. My last song HAS to be at least 4 minutes long, as, currently there is no one to hand over to since DJ Sierra got fed up with me and lit out for the Country Channel, so I have to reactivate the bot and it does take quite a bit of time getting through the layers of sign on to reach the auto SAM....as you'll all know!! :)

I do try and finish with something memorable and, if it is an occasion, something that suits - like last week I finished with 'Forever Young' by Bob Dylan along with some other 'May you...' statements to suit the first show of the New Year.

Then, trying to fulfil the station's creed of 'yesterday's and today's smoking hits' I then simply fill in the other 43 songs LOL. Well I actually start with the 'today's' section and I look through my latest songs folder and check which Ive played the previous week and which deserve an airing this week. When Ive sorted those it leaves me with about 20 songs to fill from the 'golden oldies' files and then it's a nice easy trawl through SAM looking for appropriate songs which kind of fit the mood of the show.

I don't really rehearse what I'm going to say (I'm sure you have noticed that :) ) but sometimes if there is a natural link to a song, or something funny that links to a title, I may well write it down and hope it sounds spontaneous on Monday!!

Then ,when Ive selected my songs I select promos. I do try and get promos for all current DJs into my three hours but if there are several shows for one DJ, I try to include the shows which are closest to my own. For example I will always play DJ Texas' Monday promo because listeners only have to remember the show starts 6 hours later that evening, as opposed to her Friday promo which I reason will be forgotten by the end of the week. I don't know if that's the creed I should be following but that's what I do.

Anyway that's more or less how Rollin and Tumblin comes about. If any of you have any suggestions on how it could be improved (and please..dont be toooooo hurtful LOL) I'd be delighted to get any comments.

2 comments:

  1. OMG... I am so embarrassed to say this, but I suppose it's time the truth came out. I don't plan my shows at all (which acocunts for the vastly inferior show that I put on compared to yours!) There are only two concepts in Rockin With Jazzy... 1.) Keep the energy up!, and 2.) More music, less talk!, which is why you generally only hear me once every half hour. This, among other reasons is why I have seriously considered leaving the DJing to others who are MUCH better at it than I.

    None of this is meant to be self-indulging. I'm serious Alex, your shows show great thought and presence and you have set an excellent standard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL..I don't know if you meant self indulging or self-effacing but, Lizard Boss, don't you dare consider giving up DJ-ing. You are terrific at it. I think I said to you in chat the other day, we all wish for qualities others possess and I envy the natural, cool laid-back style that you - and pretty well all the American DJs - have got. I think it's a natural national personality thing. But I haven't, so I try and be chatty and humorous on air (which sometimes works) and just hope the variety in all our styles comes out well in the mix.

    Anyway thanks for the praise and, even more, the chance to work with such a great bunch of people. I love it

    ReplyDelete